In just two weeks I’ll be visiting Brussels for the first time on a day tour. (Whoop!) While Grand Place’s begonia celebration pictured above won’t be going on, chocolate, waffles, and a couple palaces shouldn’t be the hardest compromise.
Here are a few facts I enjoyed learning about the gorgeous Brussels Flower Carpet:
– It happens every two years in August (it opens next on Aug. 14, 2012)
– The event first started in 1971
– The carpet’s pattern consists of a million begonias
– According to the official website, a hundred skilled gardeners assemble the pre-planned design in less than four hours
– Grand Place, Brussels’ central square where the event takes place, dates back to the 1100’s